Donnerstag, 10. Dezember 2015

Christmas Fruit Cake - or minor catastrophies and little helpers

Since some years I long for baking a Christmas Fruit Cake. My mother made that when I was a child and wanted one again. So this year I planned everything, bought all the ingredients and yesterday I set myself to work.
First thing should be to get all the fruits (apricots, dates, figs, raisins, candied lemon and orange peel) and walnuts in small pieces. We have a new mixer, that can also crush ice. So in it the mixture went and I started the thing. After only some moments it started to smoke. Uggh! I stopped immediately, pulled out the jack, and got everything out again. If not by machine, then I would have to cut it by hand. Major SIGH. I've got an old double-bladed rocking knife, so out it went. Alas, when pushing back the basket where it had been it, I knocked a water bottle over. It made BANG and CRASH and FIZZ as the bottle exploded. Hung head and cursed. So I had to dry up the floor firts, collecting the big chips, carefully not cutting my hand. After that it only took me one hour to cutt everything into small bits. I had no more nerves to mix the dough so I left that for today's morning.
Thanks to our new kitchen machine (no, not the mixer, who functioned as normal, when hubby checked it) it was a question of ten minutes or so and the dough was ready. I let the fruits get mixed under and filled it into a Bundt cake pan. Of into the oven it went.
It took half an hour and the whole appartement smelled so yummy. Yummy enough at least that Inkeri and Sirpa came rushing into the kitchen so see what was going on.



"A cake! You're baking a cake!" They squeaked with glee. "We want to bake cakeses, too! Please, please, please!" So onto the coutertop they climbed. How exciting! Sitting there and choosing the forms and buttering them and finally filling the dough into them.



And all the time it was smelling so delicious from the oven. "When will we eat the cakeses?" Well, some we will eat this weekend, but the main part shall remain till Christmas. "Ohhh, that is still so long. How many days are it till Christmas?" Only 14 more days, darlings. That is soon enough. "14 days? That is still a lot of time to wait."



In the meantime they are allowed to scratch the last dough from the bowl. Hmmmmh, tastes so christmas-y!


2 Kommentare:

  1. They are so cute in their little knitted onesies.

    My mom made fruit cake too, but I think hers involved a whole lot of rum and some soaking time. Her recipe passed away with her. No one in the family liked fruitcake enough to go to all that work (except me, but I'm perpetually on a diet so that doesn't work out so well!)

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thank you! Oh, there was some soaking included, the raisins took a good bath from tuesday to wednesday. ;) And I had some rum in the dough. The recipe called for sherry, but I had none. I should be on a diet, too, but not before Christmas. It's simply useless with all the cookies and chocolates and cakes...

      Löschen